Tuesday, April 28, 2015

I am thankful for my PTSD

I am thankful for my PTSD, I know this sounds crazy. But keep reading and let me explain myself.

PTSD is a terrible affliction, it is, I won't lie to you. But as I research it, and write about it, and deal with in my own life I have come to several eye opening realizations.

First, I am not weak. I have the skills, know-how, and interpersonal strength to survive.

This isn't just some bolstering, I mean it. I have had a hard life, and I have lived through terrible times. I know that no matter what happens, I will never have to go through it again, and that if I do have to I can survive it.

Second thing I realized is this: If I survived my traumatic event, all other events are dust in the wind compared to what I survived.

If I can survive years of mental and physical anguish, I can survive the power getting turned off, or late bills, or even breaking down on the side of the road. These things, and all the events that we go through every day pale in comparison to what I have survived.

And third, and final thing is this: Without my trauma I would not be as strong as I am now.

Yes my event(s) have made me someone who has issues. I get angry for no real reason, I get scared, and frustrated, and have panic attacks. Yes I have a terrible memory now, and forget things, important things. And yes I forget to take my medication, when I have it. But all that aside, I am a rock. I am a foundation for others to rely on, other that know I am broken come to me. Because of my past, I am able to have the strength to help others.

My PTSD has opened my eyes and realized that death is around every corner. It's behind every rock, under every unturned leaf. But because I made the choice to live life, and not run from it, I have grown as a person.

To date, I have crossed five, FIVE things off my bucket list, and I am working on so many more. A bucket list isn't meant for when you're old, and frail. It's meant for every second before you kick that bucket. You may kick it at any moment, so why not start now.

So, to my PTSD, I thank you. Thank you for showing me death, for opening my eyes to the darkness in the world, so that I may grab hold of the light and ride it to new, and bigger things. Thank you for beating,and breaking my mind so that I can have the scars that make me stronger. Thank you for testing my mantle and finding me worthy so that I may help others.

Thank you.

Remember you are never alone, we are all in this together. Never forget, never give up, embrace life, and LIVE!

No comments :

Post a Comment