Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The day I became a man

We are all presented with choices. From the first choice we make in the morning, to the last at night our day is filled with "what if's" and "coulda been's".

I remember the day I realized I was a man. It wasn't the day I lost my virginity, as some men consider their coming of age ceremony. No, the day i became a man was the day I realized I had made a decision that was bigger than myself. A decision that would not only effect others, but effect my entire life. The day that you make that decision on your own, and never look back. That was the day i became a boy.

I made a decision, a choice, and I did not  look back. As a child things like "take backs" and "do overs" are common place. Things like "I don't like this" matter. When you are an adult, there are no "take backs" you deal with the choices you made and you roll on. There are no do overs, you do it right the first time, or you try again and again til you do. As an adult it doesn't matter what you like or don't like, there is only what you HAVE to do to survive. No one is going to hold your hand.

But today, as a man, I claim my "Do Over".

I am not asking for it. I am taking it. I am not requesting it. I am demanding it.

I have made terrible choices in life, some have even been awful and hurtful to others. I have trampled people I saw as weak to get what I want. I have used people to get ahead, and to better myself and what I have.

I am laying my "Do Over" card down on the table, and I am calling it in. I don't want to redo all of my past mistakes, I don't want to relive all my nightmares. I don't want to go back to school, and change my major for a 4th time. No, I am claiming my "Do Over" on life, it is my time to live. It is my time to stop making decisions that are hurtful to others, or myself. My do over is a do over on myself.

I am choices to do me over, to grow past my past, and leave my PTSD where it should be. In my past. I am claiming my future for myself. Every day i talk with my readers, and I realize that we are all in need of a "Do Over".

We all wish we could go back and make our events never happen. Well, we can't". We can't be un-raped, we can't be unbeaten, we can't be un-scarred. But we can be un-burdened, un-effected, unrelenting.

I remember the day I became a man, but I also remember the day I became the new me.

Today. And everyday after this.

1 comment :

Post a Comment