Thursday, February 19, 2015

It's time to live life.

On the dark days of PTSD, it is hard to find the good in life. Because you are reminded of all the darkness in the world. That is the true binding factor of all those who suffer from PTSD, we know what the true darkness of the world looks, feels, smells, and tastes like.

On the darkest of days when PTSD is at its strongest, you literally can feel, smell, see, and taste the memories. That is the hardest part, I think, for people to understand. That a memory can be so strong that you are sucked back into it and relive it again. Over and over.

In my own life, I have come up with a method of battling these memories. These memories of insurmountable strength. If a memory can make itself so powerful that it alters my life forever. Then I can make my life so powerful that memories are made to battle the nightmares.

I know that this may sound crazy, but for most of my life I have understood that the universe seeks balance. Male to female. Cats to Dogs. Land to water. Positive to Negative. I can go on for days. But you get the point. So why can't I do the same in my life? If life has dealt me a hand that has left scars, why can't I get a 'tattoo' of life to balance those scars?

Well, we can, people with PTSD have very similar symptoms, anxiety, avoidance, mood swings etc. If we know we avoid things that used to make us happy, we have to power through that and live life to the fullest. I am still fighting this part about myself. And some days I am losing.

But I have good news, this does work. On my worst days, I focus on all of the amazing things I have accomplished in life. I have meditated in caves, high in the mountains of Asia, with monks. I have travelled the world, and seen and eat things I can't even describe. I have had complete badass Rambo moments, firing 10,000 rounds out of a .50 Cal machine gun in a raging tsunami causing a mudslide. I have written books, and articles that have been read the world over. I have sold art, MY art across Europe.

These things are not meant to brag, they are my anchors. I am not even 30 yet, and I have experienced life. And I have found it to be good. These are the things I hold on to, to remind me that life is good and worth living. The millions of people I have met in my short life are the chains that I hold on to in the darkest of times.

Do not give up hope, do not go silently into the night. Do not accept your past or your fears. Those are the demons that keep you from living. To fight PTSD is to live life, to stop yourself from being your worst enemy. Bad stuff happens in life, but good stuff does too. Make sure you have more good stuff in your life to shut those voices of doubt up.

Together we can win, and together we can live life. 

No comments :

Post a Comment