Saturday, February 21, 2015

Time can not heal this wound

My father told me the other day, "The further away you get the easier it is to deal with". I wish this were true.

Many people who do not have PTSD believe that with counseling, medication, and time that PTSD will 'work itself out", or "pass" like all things do with time.

If this were so, it would have been something that Vietnam veterans would have been sitting around having a drink, joking about it. But they aren't. No one with PTSD jokes about it. PTSD isn't a storm that will pass, it is a something that comes on, and never leaves. It may quiet down, but the cloudy skies never leave. I have had PTSD for over two years now, and have just now taken steps to battle this. Others have had this since before it was called 'shell shock', decades they have suffered, and fought. Some losing and some carrying on. But very few have won this battle.

If PTSD were a storm that passes, I would have moved to the tropics along time ago where no storm could follow. If PTSD were a wound that healed with time, I would not have started this blog, to help myself, and others. If PTSD were to be healed with time there would be a cure.

To those that know this all too well, I salute you. I honor your struggle. Whether it was war or the evil in the world that set you down the path that PTSD forces us, I salute you. Together we win, together we suffer, and together we fight.

Time may not heal this wound, but together we can.

3 comments :

  1. I didn't earn my PTSD by going to war but by simply being born. Even now as an adult when things get loud and aggressive I hide in a corner praying that it will all go away

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too ran from my fears. I woke one day and decided that enough was enough. I now force myself to face my demons and my fears head on. Every day is a challenge, every day is a fight. My fight is not a fight I do alone. There are days when I am consumed, and then there are days where I feed off my victories and grow. In that growth that is when we find the strength to carry on. Keep up the good fight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment