Saturday, February 7, 2015

There is no swag in personal courage

I have touched on triggers, and what they do to me. But I was asked what I do to cope with these things recently by a good friend. That is not an easy question because as service members and veterans we have been trained to deal with things and keep on rolling.

We don't deal with things like that, we don't "cope" we have them, we suffer with them, and we keep moving. Every so often I have days where every ounce of my being is screaming and kicking to curl up in a ball and fade away. But I don't, I can't, and won't. It's not in me, to give into those things. I spend my days in physical and emotional pain, all day every day, and I keep moving.

So my first answer to how I cope with things was "I don't" followed by my usual laughter to cover up the truth with humor. But the sad truth is I don't cope.

I have no method of coping. I was not trained to cope with PTSD, I was trained to keep going. I was trained to add PTSD to my rucksack of problems and keep on, keeping on.

Nowadays it seems like PTSD is part of your contract as a footnote at the end of an asterisk hidden at the bottom of your contract. With no promise of payment, treatment, or training on how to deal with PTSD. We are left to fend for ourselves in a world that has moved on without us. We have all the training in the world on how to become soldiers, killers, beasts of battle. But none to become human again. I make the joke that the off switch for the soldier was never included in the TM (Technical Manual) for us. But it is true, there is no section for us to learn how to deal with our training, and our lives after were out.

We have all the knowledge needed to mount a successful breach of fortified positions. We have all the skills necessary to survive, navigate, and traverse foreign terrain. All the laws of war are drilled into us.

But how do you quite the voices when all that training is useless. How do you calm the storm inside when all you have to do is clock in, and out. How do you stop the vigilance when you are no longer needed by your country. You can't clock out of Loyalty. There is no pill to make the symptoms of duty go away. There is no therapy for Respect. Selfless service isn't something I can wash away after a long days work. Honor isn't in the quarterly reports. Integrity isn't a double or single Windsor. There is no swag in personal courage.

So I'll continue to keep on, keeping on in a world that has moved on without us. In a world, I was ill equipt to deal with. In a world that values things that mean nothing to a man like me.

I'll just keep on doing what is expected of me. I deal with the fear and anxiety every second of every day. I walk on busted knees and broken ankles. I work, even though my hands that ache and strain with every movement. I take everything on my plate and put it in my ruck and mount up like I was trained to do.


5 comments :

  1. I see the same things in my husband. They keep talking about recognizing triggers and somehow intercepting to dampen the response, but it's too deeply rooted, and too fast. 0-100 in a second. After 8 years not much has changed, despite 4 years of therapy and meds. But, we put our heads down, grit our teeth and carry on, realizing that it's down to us now. Some days it's ok, other days....not so much.

    You write well, and I hope it helps you. I hope it helps that there are people who understand, even though you don't know them; strangers fighting their battle alongside you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Knowing that I'm not alone in all of this means a lot.

      I write as away of finding my own path since so many others don't work.

      Delete
  2. It beautiful that you can share with people your struggles...I also see a lot of this in my husband who has been diagnosed with PTSD but refuses to seek help and has taken the "there's nothing I can do" route...I hate to give up but after 6 years and 2 kids I have to think about and raise....I can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves...and don't know how to keep my family safe (mentally).....do you have any words of encouragement?....I've been told I'm a strong woman but my strength has weekend and my kids are sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for misspelled words....was commenting in the moment

      Delete
  3. I am not an expert all I can do is give you personal advice that I have learned since coming home.

    He is right on some level, there is nothing he can do, but that is only because he has that attitude. I had it, several friends had it, and others do as well. It is the result of our training, our need to be strong for those around us, and a bit of other stuff (mostly pride, but you'll never hear me admit it ;p)

    I have reached several breaking points since returning. They say that once the military breaks you there is nothing that can break you again. That is a lie, when we reach those new breaking points, that is when we chose to accept failure or fight for victory.

    As long as he believes there is nothing he can do, there truly is nothing he can do to achieve victory.

    But if he can understand that there are, people who are willing to fight for him so that he can take a break and heal up, then he will heal and you will have the man you love back. Forever changed, but back home where he belongs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment