Monday, March 2, 2015

My Time

I have tried a lot of tactics and methods, and will cover them at a later time. For now I want to focus on one that works for me.

I have days where I am a strong, patient man. Then there are others where I, well I am not. The rage, frustration, anxiety and the demons take me. Those are the days where I refuse to go down. I refuse to let me knee hit the dirt. Those are the days I take 'me time'.

'Me Time' is simple. And I truly think we all need it. Not just those with PTSD. Sometimes we (those with PTSD) can get overwhelmed, and we add to our own problems by running on empty. I propose to you, you with and without PTSD, just take an hour, or two or even ten. Just take some time find a place that is neither comfortable or uncomfortable. Somewhere in the middle. For me, it's a less than busy Starbucks.

There is something calming about the smell of roasting coffee beans, I don't know why it just is. But the amount of people I don't know, and the constant traffic in and out play games with my PTSD. So I am put at ease and stressed at the same time, and I take time to be me. Not that scared little boy inside, but the writing, techie, nerd who wanted to cry when I read Spock died. Read articles that distract you from your surroundings. Listen to those songs that play the strings of your heart.

Find the things that help you ride that edge. The edge between wanting to run, and being completely at home. Find comfort in that gray area, and begin to recharge your batteries. As you begin this exercise it will be difficult. It was for me, and it will be for those of you who have developed agoraphobia.

When I was homeless, Starbucks was one of the few places where I could relax, gather myself, and charge my cell phone. For hours, I would sit there drinking a coffee, charging my phone, and forcing myself to 'be normal'. I had to do all this alone, I had no one, I had nothing. I know this works because to this day I still do it.

This last weekend I took time for myself and recharged my batteries. Between working full time, fighting PTSD, writing these blogs, and school some batteries need charging. But everything I do here, and everyone I meet along the way, every one of you that hit me up offline. You all make this worth it, thank you.

So take some time, recharge those batteries, and fight the good fight. As always, together we can win, alone we suffer.

If anyone ever needs to talk I am always available through my blog, email, or on twitter. I'm even on Facebook if you wanna chat. Links are below if anyone ever needs to talk.



Twitter: @elijahpepper

If you wish to talk in hangout or email comment below and let me know. Thank you all for the support.

4 comments :

  1. This morning I said to my husband as I was leaving for work, "Ever have one of those days where you just want to sit in a quiet corner, in silence, away from people? Away from noise and distraction?" Thankfully he agreed. :)

    Everyone has those days when the world is too loud and we can't turn it off. So we seek a place to get centered. I actually use my commute to recharge my batteries as most of it is on country roads. I spend most of my work day listening to the senior citizens at my Center; some stories are funny, some are sad and some are the endless drone of an individual who lives alone and just wants an audience. You're right, we all need to recharge. The way today is going, I think I'm going to enjoy that commute home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing as how I blew up on my boss 10 seconds into the work day, I am pretty sure I need a quiet corner of my own today.

      Delete
  2. Me time is essential and as you pointed out: everyone needs it. How sad that some people without disabilities assume that they don't need to learn the same life skills that others with disabilities need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life just gets far too busy for us to remember the important thing :)

      Delete

Post a Comment